Monday, April 9, 2012

Easter Time is Here

He is risen! He is risen indeed!

Working in a church there is a lot of build up to Easter and Christmas. So much so that you sometimes can forget to get into the spirit because you get wrapped up in the details of preparing for everyone else. This year for Easter we stayed in Palm Beach and spent time with my nieces and nephews. It is always fun to see the holidays through their eyes. We dyed eggs, hid eggs, and enjoyed the rare, unseasonably cool weather.



Our eggs

Only my sister-in-law would have egg tye dye kits. It was fun to help the kids create. 






Yes I am "Ant Amie"

I am trying to be more artsy with my photography. I don't know if I'm achieving it but I love this picture of my nephew!






I love any opportunity to bake and cook so of course I volunteered to make a desert. I started off wanting to make a bunny cake but decided that a strawberry pie may be easier and more delicious. Martha Stewart, my home girl, provided a wonderful list of strawberry themed recipes. If you ever need a fail safe recipe check out Martha Stewart's website because her ideas are always solid.

Strawberry Icebox Pie


  • 10 graham crackers (2 1/2 by 5 inches)
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened cranberry juice
  • 2 quarts strawberries, hulled and thinly sliced (a few whole berries reserved for garnish)
  • 1/4 cup cornstarch
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream (or cool whip)


First thing is to make your graham cracker crust. Crush 10 to 15 crackers and mix with 2 tablespoons sugar and 5 tablespoons melted butter. Pressed into a pie plate and bake in the oven at 350 for 10 to 15 minutes or until brown. Remove and cool

Cut and thinly slice 2 quarts (roughly 1 and half packs of strawberries). In a medium saucepan combine 3/4 cup sugar, cranberry juice, cornstarch, salt and 2 cups strawberries, Mash the ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook, STIR FREQUENTLY because it thickens quickly. It only takes 1 minute for it to congeal and thicken. Remove from heat and stir in the remaining berries. Put this mixture into the crust. Place in the fridge overnight. You can top with whipped cream, I opted for cool whip because it was easy. Very fresh and delicious. A splash of lemon juice may be a nice touch.


(sigh) After Easter Summer is officially here with its thunderstorms, heat, and peace and quiet. Being a native  Floridian I don't like summer to much so I am savoring these last few days of "cool" weather. 



No comments:

Post a Comment